Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Nuge Still Rawks

I've been on vacation and lazy as hell. But Friday night I was jolted back to life by the Amboy Dukes at the Detroit Music Awards. I confess that I didn't take my seat or watch the whole show but what I saw was enough to send me home stoked.

Photobucket
Photo by Karen Fogerty

Truth be told, I watched only 2 acts; Powertrane's tribute to Ron Asheton and the Amboy Dukes. (I regret missing the Funk Brothers).

Powertrane (Scott Morgan, Robert Gillespie, Chris Taylor and Al King)played a kickass trio of Stooges tunes in tribute to Ann Arbor's homeboy Ron. Scott, a longtime friend of Ron's, was asked to perform at the DMA's after the word got out about the awesome show they put on at the Blind Pig in March.

Powertrane opened the set by cranking out a powerful "1969", then were joined on vocals by Hiawatha (of the Cult Heroes) for "Down on the Street" and "I Wanna be Your Dog". If you've never seen them play, I don't know what to tell you except that the name says it all. Sheer rock power, coupled with Hiawatha's undeniable charisma made for an electrifying combination. Aptly named, Powertrane gave a worthy performance in honor of their late friend.

I wandered backstage again to see the Amboy Dukes reunite onstage for the first time in 30 years. They played the show and were honored with a Distinguished Achievement Award. It was frickin awesome and they rocked it. R O C K. Never having seen the Nuge live, I wasn't sure what to expect. The man is a force to be reckoned with. He shredded on the guitar and his energy was magnetic. They played "Baby Please Don't Go", "Journey to the Center of the Mind" and then, with original Detroit Wheels drummer, John Badanjek sitting in, played "Jenny Take a Ride".

Photobucket

I was blown away. Shall I say it again? R O C K.

No comments:

Post a Comment