Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hanging with Cock Sparrer

Photobucket
Last weekend, October 10 & 11, I got to meet and hang out with my favorite band of all time, Cock Sparrer. It was an epic weekend of drinking and jackassery never to be forgotten.

The event was Riotfest in Chicago and although it was a 4 hour drive out there from Ann Arbor, it was well worth the time and gas spent. And shit, the band flew all the way from the UK so how could we complain about a 4 hour drive!

My friend Wendy and I were lucky enough to be put on Cock Sparrer's guest list for both nights, with VIP all access. On Saturday, October 10th, we went to the show at the Congress. Unfortunately we got there really late and only got to see one band, NOFX. They were okay, but I was bummed that we missed Cock Sparrer. We watched the show from the "VIP Skybox" which actually means that you are far as hell up and away from the stage. Although we hadn't gotten to see Cock Sparrer's performance, we stopped by to say hello to them and say thank you for putting us on. After that, we jetted over to Subterranean to see the Aggrolites play.

On Sunday night, October 11, we attended the show at the Metro. What a scene it was! Punks and skins from all over the midwest had flocked there for the event. This time, we arrived in plenty of time, and even had a chance to say hello and take a few pictures with Steve Bruce, the drummer, before the show. I didn't watch ALL the bands, I managed to catch a bit to the Lower Class Brats performance in between my beer binging, and they were really good. Then it was time for Cock Sparrer to take the stage. I have to admit, I was totally geeked. I watched the performance from back (side) stage and it was awesome to see everyone in the audience screaming along to all the songs. Cock Sparrer RAWKED the house. It was the best show I've ever been to in my life. Afterward, Wendy and I hung out in the dressing rooms and drank beer with the lads, Colin McFaull, Steve Bruce, Steve Burgess, Mickey Beaufoy, Daryl Smith and Will Murray.

What awesome, nice and down-to-Earth guys they were. We talked about football (UK) bands, our lives and families and just really very ordinary things. It was like we'd been mates for years. I challenged Colin McFaull to a darts match but sadly, it never happened. Every so often, some other fans would come back there asking for pictures and autographs and all the guys were incredibly gracious and cool. After the venue closed and everyone was tossed out, we hung around a bit longer drinking way too many beers, before proceeding to the afterparty.

The party at Exit was a great time too. All our friends who'd come from Michigan were able to meet the band as well. Of course at that point the night becomes a bit hazy for me but in my opinion, that's just a sign of a good time! The whole experience was awesome. I feel so blessed to have been able to meet those guys and owe Steve a huge debt of gratitude for hooking us up.

Cheers to the lads of Cock Sparrer, Colin McFaull - Vocals, Steve Burgess - Bass Guitar, Steve Bruce - Drums, Mickey Beaufoy - lead guitarist Daryl Smith-Guitarist and Will Murray - Road Manager, you're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment